With the growing relevance of social media in the business world, Social Media Optimization (SMO) has become important in order for brands to connect easily with customers. Social Media Optimization, as a part of digital marketing, uses social media as an efficient way to establish a brand’s online presence on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google Plus. The aim is not to influence direct buying and selling of products but to increase brand loyalty and analyze the latest trends among the audience so as to generate sales leads.
Content optimization plays an important role in Social Media Optimization as the content should be interesting enough to keep the users engaged and must be good enough for sharing. The content can be in the form of blogs, images and videos and these have to be tailored to the context of the targeted audience in such a way that it encourages engagement and sharing.
Here are 5 important tips to optimize content for social media:
Optimize your profile:
A complete official profile with the all details lays the foundation for Social Media Optimization. The profile picture should ideally be that of a company logo. If you are a freelancer or self-employed, try to have a formal picture of yourself.
- Using your company’s name as the username will make it easier for the users to locate your brand.
- Briefly state what the company does and the services it provides and attach a link of the website to the bio section. Use relevant keywords in the bio so as to provide more visibility to your company.
One of the important ways to optimize the content is planning out the strategy for recognizing the topics and events that are trending at the time. This can be done by researching the keywords and hashtags centered around those interests and accordingly creating the content.
- Incorporating such hashtags, keywords and phrases in your social media posts will enhance the probability of the brand to appear in the search results for related topic(s).
- You can use the Twitter keyboard report to track the frequency and trends of branded keywords and hashtags. It shows the keywords and phrases with highest volume which in turn can be added to social media posts.
Use high quality images:
People are visual and there is no better way to increase the engagement than by uploading pictures. Even if viewers have time to read, they are more drawn to posts that are accompanied with pictures. While scrolling down a social media page, what catches the attention of wandering eyes are good pictures. So, it becomes important to upload suitable pictures on the social media page.
- For best results, try to include high quality images on social media wherever possible; Facebook and Google Plus provide you with this option directly. Incorporating a featured image in all the blog posts aids in increasing the brand visibility because the image gets circulated every time the blog is shared.
- Be careful while uploading the pictures of people as such posts typically get fewer likes, shares and comments as compared to those with no people. As per one study, people are able to project themselves in a better way in the images of a product or lifestyle which has no person in it.
Hashtags and Tagging:
The content that is posted on social media needs to be found by the users as well. The easiest way to ensure this is by including hashtags in the content or by tagging people relevant to the topic.
- In Twitter and Google Plus there are keywords, which when looked for, provide the users with trending posts. For instance #contentwriting will provide the users will all the relevant posts in content writing. Hashtags also provides a space for the users to communicate with each other.
- On platforms like Facebook and Instagram, you can specify a brand’s username by using ‘@’ sign in front such as @brandname. This ensures that people who are not searching for the content using hashtags are still able to come across your post while scrolling through feeds and stories.
- Tagging usernames in a post notifies the concerned person/brand regarding the relevance of the content with their work or profile. For instance, tagging a specific cosmetic brand might mean that the person has used its products.
- Such actions will increase your reach, likes, shares, comments and might even help in starting a conversation with the person tagged.
An influencer can be a person or a brand/expertise whose principles, ideas, etc. are similar to yours. One of the popular ways to build a strong connection is to involve influencers in the social media posts.
- You can involve influencer by mentioning their ideas, strategies, concepts and achievements. This increases the credibility of your content as you tailor your thoughts based on opinions and expertise of established figures.
- You can repost/re-tweet their posts to your followers and comment on it in order to gain attention. Engage with such posts on a weekly basis and do not over do it.
People buy from brands that they know, like and trust. Through social platforms, people talk to the brands and feel even more connected when they realize that the person on the other side is as humanly as s/he is. For brands, social media provides access to millions of potential consumers. Thus, a well planned Social Media Optimization is crucial for enhancing engagement and brand loyalty.